March into a Safer Home: Personal Home Care Modifications to Prevent Senior Falls
Home is supposed to be where we’re most safe from danger or harm, but did you know that one of the greatest risks to older adults – falls – happen 60% of the time right at home? Experiencing a fall is the leading cause of serious injury and even death in the elderly, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
At To The Rescue, we’ve made it our mission to ensure that seniors are able to age safely and comfortably at home, which includes assessing the home for fall risks and making the necessary modification recommendations to prevent injury. The following can help your loved ones reduce the risk for senior falls at home:
- Walking areas. Take a close look at the walking areas of each area of the home, including hallways, stairways and outdoor areas such as porches and sidewalks. Remove any tripping hazards, like electrical cords, throw rugs, low furniture, pet toys and bowls, and other clutter.
- Furniture. Many falls occur from bumping into furniture that’s arranged too closely together. Spread pieces of furniture far enough apart to allow for plenty of walking space in between.
- Bathroom. Falls from wet, slippery surfaces in the bathroom can be especially harmful, with so many hard, porcelain surfaces on which to land. Non-slip strips and mats placed strategically on the bathroom floor and in the tub can help.
- Lighting. Prevent nighttime falls by placing a lamp close to the bed, nightlights in areas that may be frequented at night, such as hallways, the bathroom, and kitchen, and keeping a flashlight within reach of the bed in the event of a power failure.
- Handrails. Handrails should be securely in place on both sides of steps (both inside and out), walkways, and in the bathroom near the toilet and tub or shower.
At To The Rescue, we’re helping each day to keep seniors in Colorado and Iowa safe and thriving at home through services such as:
- Transportation and accompaniment services
- Picking up prescriptions and groceries or running other errands
- Keeping the home clean and organized
- Enhancing socialization through friendly companionship and our senior day program
- Planning and preparing healthy, nutritious meals
- A full range of skilled nursing and therapy care
- And much more
For more home modification tips to prevent senior falls, to schedule a free in-home assessment or to ask us any questions about our senior home care services contact To The Rescue through our online contact form or by calling 720-851-2100 (Colorado) or 319-826-6068 (Iowa).